40 Litres of Fernwood Soft Tree Fern Substrate is perfect for creating a jungle floor in your tropical or sub-tropical terrarium or vivarium, and is suitable for Salamanders, Frogs, Geckos and burrowing reptiles. It can also be used as a growing substrate for many different plant types including epiphytes, orchids and ferns. As it has the ability to retain moisture for a long period of time without bogging, it is also an excellent hydroponic substrate.
This Soft Tree Fern Substrate has unique and natural properties including:
- Ability to retain moisture without becoming waterlogged.
- Well draining and good aeration.
- Slow to compost due to its natural antibacterial properties.
- Natural forest floor smell and texture encourages natural burrowing behaviour.
- Fibrous and soft.
- Natural look and colour. When wetted the substrate becomes a darker colour.
- Soft and porous for plant roots to easily grow through the fibre without becoming compacted.
- Natural capillary action works well when using flood trays for plant irrigation.
All Fernwood Products are manufactured from New Zealand Tree Fern which is sustainably harvested from privately owned forests.