10 Litres of Fernwood Soft Tree Fern Substrate is made from the stem of a Native New Zealand Tree Fern. Different to Tree Fern Substrate from South America and Asia, substrate made from New Zealand Tree Fern is soft, spongy and has fantastic moisture holding abilities.
Fernwood Soft Tree Fern Substrate is perfect for creating a jungle floor in your tropical or sub-tropical terrarium or vivarium, and is suitable for Salamanders, Frogs, Geckos and burrowing reptiles. It can also be used as a growing substrate for many different plant types including epiphytes, orchids and ferns. As it has the ability to retain moisture for a long period of time without bogging, it is also an excellent hydroponic substrate.
This Soft Tree Fern Substrate has unique and natural properties including:
- Ability to retain moisture without becoming waterlogged.
- Well draining and good aeration.
- Slow to compost due to its natural antibacterial properties.
- Natural forest floor smell and texture encourages natural burrowing behaviour.
- Fibrous and soft.
- Natural look and colour. When wetted the substrate becomes a darker colour.
- Soft and porous for plant roots to easily grow through the fibre without becoming compacted.
- Natural capillary action works well when using flood trays for plant irrigation.
All Fernwood Products are manufactured from New Zealand Tree Fern which is sustainably harvested from privately owned forests.